Sunday, July 29, 2007

Joke's on Me

In which we have good news and bad news and stuff


The old joke starts, "I've got good news and I've got bad news... "

Do people still do good news-bad news jokes? Or do they just email shaggy dog tales to one another? Anyway, my favorite good news-bad news joke has always been:

The slave master aboard a Spanish Galleon comes down into the hold where the slaves are rowing the oars -- stroke, stroke, stroke... He says,"Listen up everyone! I've got good news and I've got bad news. The good news is, everyone gets a double ration!" The slaves cheer. "The bad news is... the captain wants to go water skiing."

Anyaway, that's all a round about way of saying I cycled to Griffith Park -- the largest urban park and wilderness in the world --- this morning to see if I could hike one of my favorite trails, which has been closed since the Great Griffith Fire of '07. The good news is... Wait, there is no good news. The trail is closed for the forseeable future. I supposed it's just as well, because the entire hillside is blackened and close-up it still smells of soot. All the best parts of the park are devasted. It will be years and years before it is recovered. All that's left are the grassy areas where poor families with too many children picnic and play awful music.


And yet the morning has not been a complete loss. There was a big horsey do at the Equestrian Center in the Rancho. Horses always manage to make me happy. So I guess that's the good news.


Another favorite joke: Horse walks into a bar. Bartender says, "Why the long face?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home