Saturday, March 11, 2006

Coffee clutch

In which a lament is raised at the state of Southland coffee house culture





So what's up with L.A.'s few locally-owned coffee houses?

They're never open in the early morning, when coffee is more a necessary food group than a elective beverage. My new local, Global Cafe on Ventura ("Where the World Connects") doesn't even hang out its shingle until late afternoon or evening. At night it's usually taken over by some private party of other. If I want to go and sit down and enjoy a cup a joe in the earlies in a cafe atmosphere, I've got to hit Megabucks. It sucks.

Even in my old 'hood in mid-town, the two locals, Stir Crazy on Melrose and Insomnia on Beverly, never opened until 10 or 11 AM, for crying out loud.

Hey, L.A., what gives? Got a locally-owned coffee house suggestion? Leave it here.

1 Comments:

Blogger M2 said...

I had forgotten about Maie et Cie! I've enjoyed Marie et Cie in the past -- I used to go there to get out of the office and away from the cretins at Disney Online. Haven't been there in a while... Will return and hang out. Thanks for reading and thanks for writing!

9:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home