Thursday, March 11, 2010

The Russ Building at Sunset

In which we talk architecture


I live near the Russ Building. Built in 1927 and 32 storeys tall, it was the tallest building in San Francisco until 1964, and for 30 years was the tallest buildings in the American West. Designed by architect George Kelham, the style of the building is usually referred to as "Neo-Gothic," but I think a more approriate apellation would be "Art Deco Gothic." Its details harken back to the late gothic period of the Middle Ages -- pointed arches, shields and finials -- but the maginifcent lobby is pure deco. As a building it soars. Looking at it you feel uplifted into the clouds.

It's owned by the mighty Shorenstein family, who I must say keep her in fine repair. (I know because they're banging away on the facade day and night, and sometimes it keeps me up.)

Recently, I've noticed two pairs of hawks circling its top in the afternoon. I don't know if they live there or nearby, but they seem to like to play in the building's up-drafts.

1 Comments:

Blogger Take-ME-Along said...

Mornin' Cuz

Maybe they have nests nearby - take a look at our Raptor Cam in Portland, Oregon.
http://www.kgw.com/lifestyle/raptor-cam

10:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home